It wouldn’t be an overstatement when we say that brain is the most important part of the human body. All our bodily functions are controlled by brain. When we talk about whole brain development, it simply means the development of right and left hemispheres of human brain. Human brain is divided into two equal parts-right and left hemisphere. Both the hemispheres have different functions and roles to play.
A person can either be right-brained or left-brained. It means that one side of the brain is dominant. The left-brained dominant people are methodical and analytical in nature. Those right-brained dominant are creative and artistic. The left brain and right brain theory was created in the 1960s by a psychologist named Roger W. Sperry. The left side of the brain controls the right side of the body. If the left side of the brain is dominant, the person is logical and more academically inclined. The left hemisphere of the brain is also called the digital brain. It is the one responsible for the following:
- Thinking in words
- Linear thinking
Characteristics of the left brain.
- It has the ability to understand the sum of any situation/look at things from.
- It involves the movement of large muscles such as walking.
- It plays an important role in maintaining balance.
- It is responsible for non-verbal communications.
- It can sense smell, taste, and sound.
- It is responsible for emotional functions.
- It regulates avoidance behaviour.
- It controls the immune system.
- It is in charge of involuntary body functions like digestion, the beating of the heart, and breathing.
- It is stimulated by new experiences.
- It affects the person’s ability to pay attention to details.
- Fine motor skills.